From Tales of Rokugan
- 1 Skills
- 2 Restrictions/Modifications
- 3 Faction Rules
- 4 Offical Errata
- 5 Optional rules we are using
- 5.1 Places of power (plot only)
- 5.2 Appeasing the Kami (for the fluff)
- 5.3 Merged Tattoos
- 5.4 Sumai
- 5.5 Advance tsangusuri
- 5.6 Advance Kagaku
- 5.7 Peasant Weapon Quality
- 5.8 Monk Weapons
- 5.9 Constructed Traps
- 5.10 Rural Traps
- 5.11 Kaiu Armor Advantage
- 5.12 Yogo Ward Spells
- 5.13 Family Curse
- 5.14 Gaijin Goods
- 5.15 Opening and Closing Spirit Portals (plot only)
- 6 Game of Letters
- 7 Duels
- 8 Magic Duels
- 9 Crafting
- 10 Naval Combat
- 11 Naval Terms
(skirmish): Assess the battlefield/landscape and opposition for advantages and weaknesses, respectively, to gain combat advantage(s).Before the encounter begins, The leader of the the group rolls Battle (Skirmish)/Perception against TN 20 to gain a Free Raise to an attack, defense, skill roll or on a casting roll for your own use or the use of an ally of your choosing during the ensuing combat. The one rolling Battle can only gain one raise in this method.
The character who made the successful Battle roll is the only one that can hold/store the Free Raise(s), and once a Free Raise is passed to an ally it must be used immediately or it is lost. Giving a free raise to an ally is a Reflexive Action and requires no roll or action, and is used when an ally is making the roll.
Rank 3: a character may now store store 2 Free raises
Rank 7: The limits on the amount of stored raises is now your Void.
Rank 5: The character gains a +1k0 bonus to all Contested Rolls using Iaijutsu
There is no restriction on using weapons other than a katana in a duel unless specifically stated during the challenge. Be prepared for honor losses. A duel to the death will always be with a katana.
Rank 3 opponents with a reduction rating have their rating reduced by your Water Ring when attacked with a heavy weapon.
Rank 3 reduce the penalty for shooting into melee by 2
Rant 3 The total of all damage rolls made with a pole-arm is increased by +1k0.
Rank 5 A character wielding a pole-arm adds his Pole-arms Skill Rank to his Armor TN during Skirmishes.
Rank 7: All polearms may be readied as a Free Action instead of a Simple Action.
Rank 3 Opponents with a Reduction Rating have their rating reduced by your Water Ring when you attack with a spear.
Rank 5 : A character wielding a spear adds +5 to his Initiative Score during Skirmishes.
Rank 7 You gain a +1k1 on damage when facing a large or mounted opponent
Rank 3: Off-hand penalties do not apply when using a knife (This, of course, means only for the knife itself.)
Rank 5: Use of any knife confers a Free Raise towards use of the Extra Attack Maneuver.
Rank 7: The total of all damage rolls made with a knife is increased by 0k1.
New Emphasis: Empathy (Trait: Awareness)
The Empathy emphasis represents your character’s intuition for reading people’s emotions. It also involves the capacity to understand other people’s views and perspectives, whether your character agrees with those positions or not.
- Spider are allowed. They have to social stigma that comes with being from Spider, and all Spider PCs begin with disturbing Continence for 0 points.
- Luck, Spiritual 5/10/15 (higher cost)
- Benten’s blessing now give 1k0 instead of 0k1 (housed ruled effected)
List of New Options
- Nekoma +1 agility [cat clan ffg]
- Shika +1 awareness [deer clan ffg]
- Kaikoga +1 willpower [moth clan ffg]
- Komadori +1 willpower [robin clan ToR1]
Wanted 3/6 (new advantage) You have a bounty on your head 3: wanted alive 6: wanted dead or alive
Robin Shugenja School
- School Bonus: +1 Awareness
- Honor: 4.5
- Skills: Calligraphy, Investigation (Empathy), Etiquette 2, Spellcraft, One Lore of Choice at 1, Any 1 Bugei Skill
- Affinity: Void
- Deficiency: Player selects 2 non-Void rings
- Tech: Flight of the Soul
- You gain a free raise on spells no Tag you can cast. This is 1 raise no matter the difference of ranks or elements involved.
- Note: This school does not grant the ishikendo advantage, it must be bought separately.
- Outfit: Sturdy Robes, Wakizashi, any 1 weapon, Traveling Pack, Scroll Satchel, 5 bu
Monk of Benten
- Clan: The Brotherhood of Shinsei
- Discipline: Monk
- Benefit: +1 Awareness
- Skills: Etiquette, Investigation (Empathy), Lore: Theology, Meditation, Sincerity, Temptation, any one High Skill
- Honor: 6.0
- Outfit: Bo (or pair of jo), plain Traveling Clothing, a Satchel with passages fro the Tao, and 5 zeni.
- Devotion: Fortunist
- Tech: Heart of Benten
- You gain +1k1 on social rolls that pertain to matchmaking and relationships. When you successfully match-make and the result is marriage, you may gain a 2 point devotion from one of the parties involved, or you may take both with 1 point of Devotion. Both as per the Allies Advantage.
List of banned Schools/Paths
- Champion Paths
- Chuda School
- Tsudao's Legion
- Chrysanthemum Conspirator
- The Bloodspeaker Technique
- Gozoku Agent
- Agents of the Second Gozoku
- All Non-Human Schools and Paths
List of banned Families
List of banned items
- Different School
- Member of the Chrysanthemum Court
- Anachronism (Returned Spirit)
- Sage of the Sword and Fan
- Naga Ancestry
- Darling of the Court
- Sacred Weapon: Owl Blade
- The World of the Daimyo
- Great Destiny/Dark Fate
- Social Position
List of Restricted items
These can only be gained via IC actions and RP:
- Maho spells, paths and powers
- Clan Sacred Weapons
- Forbidden Knowledge
- Imperial Spouse
- Imperial Scribe
- Inheritance: Asahina Blade
- Inheritance: Kobune
- Multiple schools
- Disadvantage: Sleeper Agent
- Shadowlands Taint
The first time a PC is brought to death, the player will have the option to call it a "Close Call". This means the PC survives, but in return the PC is given Disadvantages (typically between 6-8 points) from the experience. The Disadvantages gained will be based on the circumstances of the PC's near-death experience. This is only the first time a PC dies, after that it is what it is.
Close Calls can not be used on any PC in a duel to the death, one executed, or otherwise reaching a permanent end through story or their own actions.
Fear effect is not present in Tales of Rokugan.
- Harriers live
- Kakita matsu curse is still a thing
- Tonbo/Dragonfly are the courtiers for the dragon for ToR2
- Hoshi banned
- Hitomi banned
- Matsu hate kakita
- Damn tonbo still exist! >:[
- Moshi Guardian of the Sun allowed but goes into ronin paths and bushi
- Are bundled with Dragon and are the courtier for the Dragon
- Yogo start with the yogo curse for free
- Mantis Brawler is allowed for ronins
- Moto start with the moto curse for free
- Horiuchi family doesn’t exist
- Chrysanthemum Conspirator banned because timeline
- The Bloodspeaker Technique? No. banned. no.
- Gozoku Agent banned because timeline
- Agents of the Second Gozoku banned because timeline
- Tsudao's Legion banned because timeline
- No Chuda School
- No taint you dirty bastards
Mirumoto Rank 2: The bonus from this Technique applies to all three rolls in an Iaijutsu duel (Assessment, Focus, and Strike).
Improvised Weapons: An unarmed attack normally has a base DR of 0k1. A character who uses the “Improvised Weapons” emphasis of Jiujutsu to attack with a physical object will have a DR of either 0k1 or 0k2, as chosen by the GM (the GM should base this judgment on the size and effectiveness of the object in question).
Honor Table: The “enduring an insult to yourself” Honor boost for characters of Honor Rank 9-10 should be 0, not +2.
Glory Table 2.5: The Imperial Treasurer should have a baseline Glory Rank of 4. Geisha should have a baseline Glory Rank of 3.
The School Skills listed for the Phoenix character are incorrect. The Skill list under the actual School (page 123) is correct.
General Clarification of Bushi School Techniques: Some School Techniques refer to “melee attacks” – this category does not include Unarmed attacks unless it specifically mentions them.
General Clarification of Shugenja School Techniques: The Asahina Shugenja technique, Kitsu Shugenja technique, and Komori Shugenja technique require Complex Actions to activate. The Tonbo Shugenja technique is a Free Action to activate
Clarification of Doji Courtier Rank 3 and Bayushi Courtier Rank 3 Techniques: These Rank 3 Techniques refer to “2-point Allies” and “2-point Blackmail” which seemingly contradicts the descriptions of the Allies and Blackmail Advantages on page 146. These Techniques bypass the normal point-restriction of the Allies and Blackmail Advantages. The “2-point” benefits are mechanical representations of the fact that the character now has a bit of influence with this NPC – dirt for the Scorpion, friendship for the Crane.
Togashi Tattooed Order School: The School should have the Artisan: Tattooing skill (instead of Craft: Tattooing).
Kitsu Shugenja School: The Kitsu technique does not allow them to detect the Shadowlands Taint Disadvantage.
Kitsune Family: Two different family Trait bonuses are listed for the Kitsune family. This is not actually an error; the +1 Willpower bonus applies to the Kitsune as a Minor Clan, while the +1 Awareness bonus applies to the Kitsune as a family of the Mantis Clan.
Bayushi Courtier Rank 5 Technique: This Technique refers to a nonexistent “Bad Reputation” Disadvantage (a legacy term from previous editions of L5R). In 4th Edition, this should be the “Social Disadvantage” Disadvantage (found on page 162).
Iuchi Shugenja School: The absence of a Scroll Satchel from this School’s Outfit is an oversight. They should have a Scroll Satchel like the other shugenja schools.
Intimidation Skill: The “default” Trait for Intimidation should be Willpower, not Awareness.
The Rise spells (pages 173, 180, 192, and in the Book of Fire supplement): The four Rise spells have caused some confusion with players who try to interpret the summoned kami as a Creature, leading to questions about mechanical effects like Initiative, how it takes Actions, and so forth. However, the summoned kami is not a Creature – it is an ongoing spell effect. Thus, it does not have to take “Move Actions” in the conventional sense, it simply moves the distance desired by the caster (up to the allowed maximum). It can be assumed the kami will act on the caster’s Initiative, since the caster is controlling it. It is the GM’s judgment whether the kami will act on the Round that the caster summons it – given that these are Rank 6 spells, however, they probably should be able to do so. It is presumed these spirits are immune to the effects they impose on others’ movement. They can also generally ignore effects which would target Mental Traits or Rings, although it is possible an odd situation might arise where such an effect could have an impact on them – the GM should use common sense and good judgment in such situations.
Deathseeker Path: The Honor requirement for the Path should read “Honor Rank 5+.”
Iuchi Traveler Path: The flavor text of the Path says that multiple spell slots can be expended to travel greater distances. This is incorrect (the Technique does not actually grant such an ability) and should be ignored.
Playing a Monk Sidebar: The sidebar states that Brotherhood monks start with Glory 1 and Status 0. This is incorrect. The entry on page 95 is correct: monks start with Glory 0 and Status 1. Kiho rules: Internal Kiho with no listed duration are assumed to last until the monk either (a) switches to another Internal Kiho, or (b) no longer concentrates on controlling the Elements within him (i.e. when he falls asleep, goes unconscious, dies, etc).
Utilizing Kiho: The example refers to the Kiho called The Great Silence as Martial, but the actual description of the Kiho on page 262 labels it as Mystical. The description is correct – it is a Mystical Kiho.
Creatures: Horses and falcons have the same Skill listing (Hunting and Intimidation) as the Unicorn War Dogs. This is an error. Falcons and horses do not have any Skill Ranks.
Index, entry for Off-hand Weapons & Multiple Attacks: The correct page is 141.
Imperial Scion Rank 2: This Technique refers to an “Opposed Courtier / Etiquette Roll”. It should be Courtier / Awareness.
Mirumoto Master Sensei: This Advanced School lists a prohibition against the “Proud” Advantage. This was a “legacy error” referring to an Advantage that was published in previous editions of L5R but which does not exist in 4th Edition. Substitute “Overconfident” instead.
Mantis Brawler: The Rank 1 Techniques says “You still gain the Prone Armor TN bonus against ranged attacks.” This refers to an aspect of the Prone Condition that was in an early draft but got dropped in the final version. Although GMs are free to apply such a bonus if it seems appropriate, if you are playing strictly by the rules text, this line of Brawler Rank 1 should be ignored.
Dance of the Winds Kata: This Kata is listed as being available to Shiba Bushi and “Daidoji Bushi.” This should be Daidoji Iron Warrior.
Shadow Blade: This alternate Path requires the Skill of Ninjutsu 3, but the Technique refers to “weapons with the Ninja keyword.” However, there are no such weapons – the concept of a [Ninja] Weapon tag was dropped late in the development of 4th Edition. To correct the Technique, allow it instead to apply to all weapons using the Ninjutsu Skill, and to the Ninja-to sword.
Kaiu Shipmasters Alternate Path: This Path is listed as replacing “Kaiu Engineer 3 or Kaiu Siege Master 1”. However, Kaiu Siege Master is itself a Path, not a School or Advanced School. The Shipmasters only replace Kaiu Engineer 3.
The Generic Ronin Bushi School: The Rank One Technique allows an Earth Roll to cancel Wound Penalties. The Rank Five Technique upgrades this with the ability to “spend a Void Point to activate your R1 Technique without requiring a Willpower Trait Roll”. The reference to a “Willpower Roll” is an error – it should refer to “Earth Roll.”
The Seppun Astrologer Path: The Skills listed in the Requirements section are incorrect. Replace them with Divination (Astrology) 4, Lore: Omens 5
The Battle Healing Advantage: This was mistakenly given the [Mystical] tag (due to confusion with the Kiho rules). It should be [Spiritual] instead
Optional rules we are using
Places of power (plot only)
- Book of air p93 air
- Book of earth p79 earth
- Book of fire p68 fire
- Book of water p67 water
Appeasing the Kami (for the fluff)
- Book of air p93 air
- Book of fire p64 fire
- Book of air p195
- Limited to once
- Book of earth p51
- Full rules with stare-downs and everything
- Book of fire p51
- Break to use/one time uses
- Book of fire p52
- one time uses
Peasant Weapon Quality
- Book of water p31
- Book of water p190
- The Great clans p32
- The Great clans p71
Kaiu Armor Advantage
- For Crab only
- The Great clans p39
- With debt/obligation
Yogo Ward Spells
- The Great clans p229
- The Great clans p230 (Yogo)
- Taking the Yogo family means you get this free! Same with Moto! Asako can choose to have the yogo curse.
The Great clans p253
- Astrolabe (made from copper)
- Boardgames (chess, checkers, backgammon, etc)
- Books (cloth-bound or leather-bound)
- Boxes, metal or wood (exotic design, engravings, etc)
- Carpets (woven, embroidered, etc)
- Earthenware (exotic pottery, etc)
- Glass (bottle or goblet)
- Ivory (sculptures or jewelry)
- Jewelry and gems
- Leather bags or shoes
- Leather saddles
- Metal utensils (forks and spoons)
- Oil lanterns (made from brass, with glass panes)
- Papyrus paper
- Spices and herbs (foreign/exotic)
- Weaponry (scimitar, katar, kukri, longsword, shield, etc.)
Opening and Closing Spirit Portals (plot only)
- Imperial histories P204
Game of Letters
- Big First Rule, Rule #1: All Letters will be posted by Tolta. The current player on their turn can make a post in their own forum and i will post it on the Letters Forum, otherwise you just know who it is anyway!
- Letters names: Each person in the Contest will be given the name of a minor fortune of some aspect specific to the city and the area as a show of offering to them. Part of the fun is figuring out who is who. You can then send an easier letter to a friend or try to remove a rival from the contest if you can figure it out!
- Base Rolls:All Letters must include 2 rolls at minimum. Calligraphy/Agility for the actual writing. Raises for better embellishment, etc. Games(Letters)/Awe for the Game.
- Additional Rolls at your Option: Letters may include other skills rolls to increase the effect or modify their effect.The TN for these rolls equals the Calligraphy roll of the last sender. This will be a public TN. Part of the fun is to include something personal (one of these skills) into the letter! It is a way to show you are just that little bit better! Passing one of these rolls grants you a +2 to your Letters roll, up to 2 additional skills for a total bonus of +4. You can roll them all in 1 post and Ii will be retroactively added it to your roll.
- Courtier (Awareness) - to impress the Court. This includes like how witty you want it to come across or how veiled an insult.
- Etiquette (Awareness) - To display a knowledge of Court and to reference how a samurai should act. This also could show respect, whether through admiration of efforts, respect to a clan or faction, whatever you can make sense of.
- Lore (Intelligence) - To impress or infer knowledge, to display knowledge to the Court. This is one of the more respected additional rolls as display of knowledge in letters is a show of confidence- who would clue others in to who they are through displaying their personal craft except those confident in their ability to play!
- Artisan (Various) - If it can apply to a small piece of paper or a small token it is allowed. A coin to small wood carving for example. Something like a tanto or music instrument is not allowed. Typically the item should not cost more than a zeni or two.
- Craft (Various) - If it can apply to a small piece of paper or a small token it is allowed. A coin to small wood carving for example. Something like a tanto or music instrument is not allowed. Typically the item should not cost more than a zeni or two.
Each roll of Games(Letters)/Awareness for the Letter becomes the TN for the next Letter. This will be a public TN. If the Next writer rolls less than the previous writer, they are out of the Game. Whoever they were writing the Letter to become the next person to set the TN with no difficulty.
The Calligraphy roll is simply a TN, it does not remove anyone from the Games if they fail a secondary roll. It might get some public ridicule from the lack of ability/effort, but that is all part of the fun!
These are basic rules of the contest:
-You may not tell someone else your Letters Name. If you are caught doing so, you and all those involved in the conversation will be disqualified.
-You may not claim a Letters Name that is not your own. You will be disqualified, and those in the conversation risk being so as well.
-Even if you are out of the Game you are not allowed to tell anyone your Letters Name or all those in the conversation will be disqualified.
-You are not allowed to say if you are still in the game or not. Saying so will disqualify you and/or the persons in the conversation.
-You are not allowed to name or attempt to directly infer through a Letter what a persons Letters Name is. The Letters Names will be revealed at the end of the Game.
A duel still consists of 3 rounds as usual: Assessment, Focus, and Strike. Below are the standard rules with the edits included.
Roll: Iaijutsu(Assessment) K Awareness
TN: (Opponent’s Insight Rank) x5
Success: Learn 1 stat of the opponent from the list below. Winning by 10+ gives a +1k0 to your focus roll.
Raises: Each raise confers knowledge 1 additional stat per raise.Stat choices to learn from opponent:
- Iaijutsu Skill Rank
- Iaijutsu Emphasis (all possessed are revealed for 1 ‘choice’ )
Roll: Iaijutsu(Focus) K (Stage one selection) plus Center Stance bonus of 1k1+Void
TN: Contested Roll.
A contested roll where each participant uses a Trait chosen by his opponent from the Assessment Stage (Ref, Agi, or Void)
Every 5 by which you exceed the opponents roll you gain a free raise to the Strike Attack roll.
Roll: Iaijutsu(Strike) K (Striker’s Choice of Stage 1 Traits or Void)
TN: Target’s normal ATN
The Striker choses a trait/void from the Assessment Stage to Strike with for the base trait used. (Ref, Agi, or Void)
Center Stance bonus (1k1+Void) can be used to either Strike or Damage roll for the Strike.
Opponent gets choose your Focus Trait (Ref, Agi or Void)
You get to choose your Strike Trait'(Ref, Agi, or Void)
Roll: Rank/Void, as if casting a Void spell. TN: Opponents Rank x5 Success: Reveals 1 of the opponents Rings. Each raise learns an additional Ring.
Roll: There are 4 rolls, 1 for each non-Void ring. Each is rolled like a casting roll, Rank/Ring. Affinities and Deficiencies apply to this. The roll from each are tallied and a total score is found. This total score is used as if it were the Focus roll in a standard duel, raises awarded for each 5 over as normal. Get creative with these rolls! Each is basically an 'elemental spell being cast' so they can be flashy if you so choose.
Roll: Rank/Ring, ring chosen by the caster. TN is the target’s normal TN A hit deals Ring/Ring damage as most normal elemental spells. You may not call raises on this roll, but raises from the Focus Stage apply.
Craftsmanship and artistic pursuits are considered an honorable path for samurai in most clans. All governors and daimyo have need of supplies for their vassals, and to provide such materials is a respectable duty for most. In the more refined circles of the courts, the production of artwork is considered an essential aspect of maintaining the Empire’s civilization. Mechanically speaking the rules for crafting vary slightly depending upon the material being produced. The products of crafting endeavors fall into five broad categories.
NOTE: Crafting/Artisan skills are limited to 2 Called Raises until a Project is created for a place to work crafts/arts. This does not include Free Raises (from schools or otherwise), only Called Raises. This is the Project listed as Artisan/Crafting Shop under PC Projects.
- Armor - Using Craft:Armorsmithing to produce Ashigaru Armor, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Riding Armor, or any other less common version of armor used by the military forces off Rokugan.
- Artwork - Creating artwork requires use of one of the artisan skills to produce a physical product, such as a painting or sculpture.
- Engineering - Using the engineering skill to design structures or large scale devices such as siege engines.
- Equipment - Using a variety of craft skills to produce any material not covered by one of the other entries on this list.
- Weapons - Considered the most sacred crafting pursuit, this is the use of Craft:Weaponsmithing to make weapons for the samurai caste of Rokugan. Craft:Boyer is used to make bows and arrows.
Crafting Extraordinary Weapons (Crafting Raises)
- Increased Production: Create more than 1 of the item at a time. The time to create is not increased. (stackable up to crafter's relevant trait). TN is increased 50% the original TN to craft per additional item. These rules are in addition to the base rules for addon's
- Faster Crafting: Reduce base craft time by 25% (this is cumulative with Cheaper Crafting). 2 raises.
- Cheaper crafting: Reduces the price of raw materials by 25%, reducing the crafting time. (this is cumulative with Faster Crafting). 2 Raises.
- Improved deflection: Increase Armour TN bonus by 1. 2 Raises.
- Improved reduction: Increases Reduction by 1. 2 Raises.
- Rotund: This very obvious enhancement increases the Armour TN by 3 and the Reduction by 1. 5 Raises.
- Improved mobility (Light armour only) - Reduce penalties to Stealth and Athletics by 2. 2 Raises.
- Fleet (Heavy and Riding armour only): The normal penalties to all Agility and Reflexes rolls are reduced by 3. 3 Raises.
- Decorative - Grants +1.0 point of temporary Glory to wielder when being identified. 1 Raise.
- Piercing - Ignore 2 points of reduction. 1 Raise.
- Unobtrusive: The item does not appear like itself at all. Requires an Investigation(Notice)/Perception roll at TN +5/additional Raise. 1 Raise base with no effect, +1 raise/+5 TN. (So in essence 2 raises minimum)
- Warded: +3 to the TNs of all hostile spells cast on the wearer of the armour. 3 Raises.
- Ready: The item can be readied as a Free action if it is Small or Medium size. If the character could already draw it as a Free action, they gain a +3 bonus to Initiative instead. 3 Raises.
- Wind-borne: An item that could not be thrown normally becomes a thrown weapon with a range of 20’, or a thrown weapon gains +20’ of range. Bows Improve effective range by 50’ (30’for hankyu). 2 Raises.
- Spirit: Grants a bonus to damage rolls equal to half the character's honour rank. 4 Raises.
- Loyal: The item has a strong tie to one person or bloodline specified during the item's creation. Divinations or Investigation checks made by the intended owner to locate the item receive a bonus of +1k1. Anyone who is not the character or one of his direct descendants receives a penalty of -1k1 when using the item. 3 Raises.
- Improved damage rating: +1k0 to damage. 4 Raises
- Attuned: The weapon is attuned a spirit realm and is able to injure even invulnerable spirits from that realm. Crafter must have at least 3 ranks in a relevant Lore skill. 5 Raises.
- Excellent: Grants a Free Raise towards a specific manoeuvre, which cannot reduce the cost of any manoeuvre to less than 1 Raise. 6 Raises.
- Swift: The wielder gains +5 to his Initiative score while using this weapon. 4 Raises.
Value of a Katana
While a katana is socially considered to be priceless, for the purpose of the Crafting rules a katana has a value of 25 koku.
Crafting Sacred Weapons
A smith of a clan that possesses a Sacred Weapon (as per the Advantages in the L5R 4th Edition Core Rulebook, page 152-153) may attempt to make one using a Craft: Weaponsmithing roll.
The smith must create the appropriate Excellent Quality weapon TN then with 7 Raises to give the “Sacred” Quality to the weapon. (6 Raises for a Kaiu smith because of free raise).
A samurai may only attempt to create a Sacred Weapon of his own clan. A Crane can only attempt to make Kakita Blades, a Crab may only attempt to make Kaiu Blades, and so forth.
Time Units are considered based on 1 week.
Time Units required based on Material:
- Zeni Price divided by 10 in units (minimum 1 week)
- Bu Price divided by 5 in units (minimum 1 week)
- Koku Price divided by 3 in units (minimum 1 week)
The TN of any craft is 10+(5 x the number of weeks required to craft the item).
For example: Crafting a standard Tea Set. It costs 1 koku. The koku cost divides the cost by 3 for the number of Time Units required, in this case 1/3 of a Time unit. For all crafting it is weeks per Time Unit. So crafting a normal Tea Set would take 1/3 of a week. This is rounded up, so on ToR it would take 1 week. The TN to craft would be 15, 10+(5x 1 week).
Standard crafting example: Crafting a No-Dachi. It costs 30 koku. The Koku cost divides the item cost by 3 for the number of Time Units required, in this case 10 Time Units. For all crafting it is weeks per Time Unit. So crafting a no-dachi would take 10 weeks. With each day in real life accounting for 2 days in game time, it requires 5 weeks to craft. The TN to craft would be 35, 10+(5x 5 weeks).
Rated 1-5. The raw speed of the ship in “Naval Units”. This is a generic term for distance so we are not constantly measuring distance.
Rated 1-5. This is the ability of the ship to make turns and maneuver in combat.
- Hull Str
Rated 1-5. The base for wounds of the ship.
- Ship Wounds
Hull x5 : Damaged (-1 to speed and maneuverability) Hull x10 : Heavily Damaged (-3 to speed and maneuverability) Hull x15 : Destroyed.
- Hull Resistance
Equal to Hull Str x5. This is the resistance to damage for the Hull of the ship.
- Sail Str
Rated 1-5. The base for wounds of the sails of the ship.
- Sail Wounds
Sail x5 Damaged (-1 to speed and maneuverability) Sail x10 Destroyed (Speed and Maneuverability reduced to 0)
Sails have no resistance.
Naval Combat is done in “Long Turns”. This is like the Mass Combat turns, where it is not a set time, but reflects the current story pace. There will be events akin to Heroic Opportunities during this time. PCs will typically have 3 combat rounds worth of actions.
Using the term “Naval Units” as an abstract term. For the purposes of ranged attacks and ranged spells: Naval Unit 0 is on top of each other and range is determined as normal combat. Naval Unit of 1 is considered “long rang” and should be considered at least 200ft. Naval Unit of 2 or more is out of range
Naval pursuit is based on the Speed and Maneuverability of the ship and the skill of the helmsman. Pursuit is a contested roll between Helmsmen.
The contested roll is: the Helmsman’s Sailing Roll (Sailing/Intelligence) modified by the ship’s stats: The Speed of the ship is added to kept dice on the contested roll. The Maneuverability of the ship is added to rolled dice on the contested roll.
The ship that rolls higher either closes the distance (pursuer wins) or pulls away (runner wins) a distance equal to the difference in the ships Speed.
Raises can be called on this roll. Every 2 raises called increases the effective Speed of the Ship by 1 for distance determination.
The Maximum distance for continued pursuit is 10 Naval Units. Farther than this it becomes impossible to continue to chase, they get away.
Cooperative Rolling Any other PC can roll Sailing/Int with a TN of the opposing ship’s helmsman’s roll. Success adds +2 to your helmsman’s roll.
Running Ship’s Helmsman Rolls (Sailing+Maneuverability, keeping Int+Speed) Any assisting Sail Rolls are made (TN equal to the roll of the runner) Chasing Ship’s Helmsman Rolls (Sailing+Maneuverability, keeping Int+Speed, +2 per assisting sail roll made)
A ship’s initiative is 1k1+Speed+Maneuverability.
Ramming requires a contested Sailing between the helmsmen. If the action is successful, the action deals the ships Speed in rolled and kept dice. Every 5 by which the rammer won the roll increases the damage by +1k0. The ramming ship takes half of this damage as well. If the collision is head-on, the damage is the speed of the ships combined. This damage, to both the ramming ship and target, ignores the ship’s resistance.
To board another ship the Naval Unit distance must be reduced to 0.
The TN for a target on the ship is their normal TN plus range modifier. At Naval Unit 0 there is no modifier At Naval Unit the TN of the target is increased by +10 At Naval Unit 2 or more is out of range
The TN for a ship’s sails is the Ship’s Maneuverability x5, modified by range: Naval Unit 0 has no modifier Naval Unit 1 increases the TN of the shot by +10 Naval Unit 2 or more is out of range
Here is the base stats for a ship in Naval Combat, based on the 5 build types in Rokugan. There are other types of ships, this list is far from comprehensive. These are the 5 main base builds for ships. The stats are changeable, as the ship is customized. For the most part however, the ships are built to specification. They are not often modified in the empire, they serve the purpose they were built for as far as the samurai are concerned.
|Name||Speed||Maneuverability||Hull Strength||Ship Wounds||Hull Resistance||Sail Strength||Sail Wounds||Notes||Lumber Cost||Fabric Cost||Iron Cost||Total Cost||Build Time|
|Eku (Canoe)||1||5||1||5/10/15||5||N/a||N/a||1 builds 2||1||0.5|
|Dugout||2||4||1||5/10/15||5||1||5/10||Small Single-person Sailing Ship||1||1||2||1|
|Kobune||3||3||3||15/30/45||15||3||15/30||The Standard Rokugani Ship||3||2||5||2.5|
|Koutetsukan||3||2||5||25/50/75||25||5||25/50||Iron Turtle Warship||4||3||1||8||4|